Catalogue of the Francis Trigge Chained Library. St. Wulfram's Church, Grantham.

(Cambridge): Brewer, (1988),

First Edition. quarto, boards in dust jacket. xii, 82pp. Brewer, Item #27839

With nine plates of illustrations. In 1598 Francis Trigge, Rector of Welbourne in Lincolnshire, arranged for a library to be provided in St. Wulfram's church, Grantham, for the use of the clergy and inhabitants of the town and the Soke: Trigge undertook to supply books to the value of ' one hundredth poundes or thereaboutes", and the library that came into being was the first English library to be endowed outside an institution. The library is here catalogued for the first time; catalogue entries include collations for all books, details of bindings, dimensions, notes on waste sheets used as endpapers, and references for each volume to standard catalogues when possible. Portion of front panel of dust jacket slightly wrinkled from damp, else near fine.

Price: $20.00

See all items by ,